Nag champa is one of the most famous scents in the world which originates from India. Its main ingredients include sandalwood, essential oils of magnolia or frangipani, and other ingredients. These natural ingredients are blended following a secret recipe to create a warm, sweet fragrance. Using nag champa not only helps to add positive energy to the air, but also creates a sacred atmosphere, which has a relaxing effect and creates a great space for meditation. Besides, this scent also brings many health benefits, helps clean the air, and repels insects such as mosquitoes, flies, and cockroaches.
Let's learn about the nag champa scent with naturalscents.net in this article:
- What is nag champa?
- How to use nag champa incense?
- Benefits of nag champa
- Is nag champa toxic?
- Is nag champa safe for dogs and cats?
Nag champa is a traditional scent of India and Nepal. It is also known as Satya Sai Baba Nag Champa Agarbatti. This is also one of the most popular and oldest scents in the world.
This scent is a combination of two main ingredients: sandalwood and flowers of magnolia or frangipani. However, depending on the usage and the manufacturer, other ingredients might be added in different proportions. Some ingredients that are commonly added include lavender essential oil, rose essential oil, saffron, cinnamon, star anise, strawberry, coconut, and black pepper.
Today, this scent is very popular and it is widely used in many different products such as incense, perfumes, essential oils, soaps, scented candles.
Nag champa has a sweet scent of magnolia mixed with a warm feeling of sandalwood. Nag champa fragrance can belong spread and retains the scent for a long time. Depending on the supplementary ingredients, the nag champa scent may have some extra smell like jasmine, rose, tea, or coconut oil.
Nag champa incense is often used in religious rituals, house cleaning, or purification. Besides, you can also burn nag champa incense in the yoga room, tea room, or reading room. With a long-lasting, sweet, and pure fragrance, the scent of nag champa is very well-suited for the purpose of relaxation, relieving pressure in work and life.
The most suitable times to use nag champa incense are:
- Use nag champa in religious ceremonies.
- Use nag champa to purify and disinfect the house, especially when you move into a new place.
- You can burn incense every morning to recharge positive energy.
- The scent of nag champa is very suitable for creating a meditation space or practicing yoga.
- When you do housework and want to improve your mood.
- When you feel stressed after tiring working hours.
Currently, nag champa comes in three main forms: incense sticks, incense cones, and incense bricks. Please refer to our following articles to choose the most suitable nag champa fragrance for yourself.
Nag champa has the same instructions for use as other common incense. You just need to light the fire at the top of the stick until it burns evenly. Blow or gently fan the flame if it doesn't go out on its own. Then plug it into the censer and put it in a flat place, away from flammable objects.
You can see detailed instructions on how to use our incense in the following articles: How to use bakflow incense burner
The scent of nag champa contains a large number of essential oils, so it is very easy to get damp if exposed to the air. To properly preserve nag champa incense, you should put them in a zip bag or
bottle with lid and store them in a cool place, make sure to avoid sunlight and places with high temperatures.
Apart from being a famous scent that is widely used in religious ceremonies and meditation purposes, the scent of nag champa also has many health benefits and the ability to repel insects. Let's find out in detail about the benefits of using nag champa incense.
Nag champa is a traditional type of incense, it is an integral part of religious rituals. This can also be considered the greatest use of nag champa incense as it is used by many different religions and cultures around the world.
The scent of nag champa has the ability to create a sacred atmosphere, which is suitable for those places of worship. The scent of sandalwood is believed to have the ability to connect with the Gods. Meanwhile, the gentle scent of magnolia has the effect of creating positive energy and a sense of calm.
If you have ever walked into a yoga studio or a meditation class, you've surely smelled nag champa.
There are many types of nag champa incense specially made for meditation and yoga purposes. Manufacturers will add cedar resin to the recipe which helps to create a light and clean fragrance. This is the most suitable scent to create a peaceful and tranquil atmosphere.
Nag Champa has a gentle fragrance to help relieve stress and relax nerves. You can light a Nag Champa incense after finishing a stressful working day.
The scent of nag champa also has many health benefits such as:
- Sedative effect, good sleep: The scent of burned sandalwood produces natural sedative active substances, helping you to improve the quality of sleep every day.
- Solve allergy problems: Another great impact of nag champa fragrance is its anti-allergic, anti-inflammatory effect.
- Skin-beautifying effects: Due to its high antioxidant content combined with anti-inflammatory properties, nag champa incense can help your skin fight acne-causing bacteria.
- Good for the digestive system: Researchers have shown that box and sandalwood essential oil have a laxative effect and reduce digestive problems such as diarrhea, flatulence, bloating.
- Increase "euphoria": The essential oil of sandalwood spreading in the bedroom space will help you feel relaxed, comfortable and increase the excitement for a complete “sexual performance”.
Another effect of nag champa incense is that it can be used to repel insects such as mosquitoes, cockroaches, and flies. The smoke and aroma of nag champa annoy mosquitoes, keeping them away from your home. In addition, by using nag champa incense to repel mosquitoes, you can reduce the use of chemical creams on the skin.
Today, manufacturers have also made larger incense sticks, with a longer burning time to repel mosquitoes in large spaces such as backyards, camping spots or an outdoor yoga class.
You can refer to this article to find out which incense is best suited for outdoor mosquito repellent purposes.
Nag champa is a famous scent with the effect of warding off evil spirits, removing all impurities, creating a clean and cozy atmosphere for the room. That's why many people often use nag champa incense for purification purposes before moving to a new office or new home.
Besides, using nag champa incense regularly also helps improve the quality of living and working space, eliminating toxic gases, musty odors on wet days.
According to a study conducted in 2008, “The burning of incense emits smoke containing particulate matter, gaseous products, and other organic compounds and causes air pollution and respiratory disease.” However, the study also points out, "To get more accurate results, more epidemiological studies with better controls and a longer time period are needed."
With that said, it is not confirmed that the use of nag champa incense is directly harmful to human health. Nag champa is made from natural ingredients such as flowers, wood, and pureed bark. So the smoke from the sticks is similar to the smoke from a fireplace or a charcoal grill.
In this case, the spiritual values of burning incense will probably offset the damage to your health. To limit the bad effects caused by burning incense, please note the following points:
- Use incense in a moderate way, only use incense from 1 to 2 times a day.
- Please open all doors to allow air to circulate during the incense burning process.
- The incense burner should be cleaned periodically to remove the burning smell caused by the incense.
- Clean the room regularly to avoid the smell of personal items.
- If you are allergic to incense smoke, you should stop using them and switch to other forms of nag champa fragrance such as essential oils or scented candles.
The scent of nag champa is generally not good for dogs, cats, and other pets. These pets’ sense of smell and respiratory system is much more sensitive than ours. The scent of nag champa can be very unpleasant to them. Besides, dogs and cats are very susceptible to respiratory diseases such as asthma if they are regularly exposed to incense smoke.
Just like humans, some pets can be allergic to environmental factors such as incense smoke, essential oils, and scented candles. There is a good chance that your dog or cat has the same problem. Therefore, you should consult your veterinarian for the most detailed advice.
Furthermore, it is not safe to light an incense stick when there is a dog or cat in the house. They are very active and if you are unlucky, there will be a fire. You need to keep an eye on your incense stick and keep it away from pets while it's burning.
Nag champa incense is a very popular product in the market today. It has a great spiritual effect and is often used in religious ceremonies in many different countries and cultures. With an earthy scent, nag champa is a great therapy that helps you relax after having many different pressures in your life.
Hopefully, with this article, you can find yourself a good reason to try and experience this wonderful scent. Let us know what you think!
- Nag champa - wikipedia
- Sandalwood - wikipedia
- Magnolia champaca - wikipedia
- Plumeria - wikipedia
- Burning Incense Is Psychoactive - sites.psu.edu
- Incense smoke: clinical, structural and molecular effects on airway disease - pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov